Fire Safety Requirements for Self-Catering Properties

As part of our Pure Cottages standards we must ensure that all properties meet their legal requirements in terms of Fire Safety, Gas Safety and all other statutory obligations.

You should be aware of the need for the completion of a Fire Risk Assessment for your property which you may undertake or which we will undertake on your behalf.  In order for you to understand the requirements that are needed and in particular if you are carrying out any refurbishment then it is important that you are aware of the items that are needed.

To this end we are providing a list of items that need to be actioned/installed in your property.   These requirements are standard to all self-catering properties however requirements may vary dependent on size of property, layout and number of floors.

Smoke Alarm System

A Grade D LD2 or a Grade F LD2 System of smoke alarms to be installed in the property.  The number and positioning of detectors is dependent on the size, layout and number of floors in the property.   Both systems are interlinked i.e. one detector goes off they all go off and they have a battery backup system incorporated in case of a power cut.

Emergency Lighting

Some form of emergency lighting needs to be provided in the property. This should be suitable to illuminate the escape route to the main exit, typically the landing stairs and hallway of a property.  The easiest provision here is a Safe T Light which sits in a standard 3 pin socket and remains on charge permanently.  This will illuminate in the event of a power failure in an emergency.  This is also useful when there is a power cut.  The best provision is to install some hardwired non maintained emergency lighting which then alleviates the problem of the Safe T Lights being removed.

Fire Blanket and Fire Extinguisher

A Fire blanket and Fire Extinguisher 1 litre water mist need to be wall mounted in the kitchen adjacent to the exit door and you need to provide an additional extinguisher on each floor of the property located on the landing.  Fire Extinguishers must all be wall mounted

Key Less Exits    

The main purpose of a keyless exit is to allow guests a quick exit from a property in the event of an emergency without the use of a key.   The main exit for the property traditionally is the front door which needs to be fitted with a keyless exit.  We are also recommending that all external doors are also fitted with a keyless exit.   The concern here is that guests will not know the property that well and may well misplace the key.

Fire Log

It is important to ensure that all fire emergency equipment is checked and tested regularly and in line with manufacturer’s recommendations.  You need to keep a log of when such tests are completed.  If you wish to do your own, you will need to confirm that you will undertake this requirement and we can provide you with a logbook for this purpose.  We are working closely with a company called Let Protect who offer a service contract which includes a log of checks which works out at £125.00 per year and involves 4 quarterly checks and an annual service per year.

Carbon Monoxide Detectors

These need to be provided for each fossil fuel burning appliance (open fire, log burner) and also need to be provided for all gas appliances including gas boilers.  We are recommending Detectors that have a sealed battery which will last 7 – 10 years.  This is important as it ensures that batteries cannot be removed making them useless.

Door Closers

You will need to provide door closers on doors that access the main escape route, in normal circumstances this may well be the kitchen or lounge door or may vary if the living area is open plan.

Let Protect will also provide a full quote for provision and installation of any requirements identified as a result of your Fire Risk assessment which will also include Fire information and Fire Emergency notice, provision of Fire Extinguishers and blankets.

These 7 requirements form the main basis of the fire requirements.  During the Fire Risk Assessment process, we will be looking at the whole property in terms of overall safety and will also consider all areas of the property that present as a high-risk area.  You may well find other smaller recommendations on your Fire Risk assessment which may be as a result of the size, layout and number of floors and also the type of high-risk area that may present itself. 


You will also need to provide the following documentation in support of your statutory obligations.  Under each document you will see a brief description and the reasons why we request the information; it will also advise you as to the frequency of testing or renewal.

Gas Safe Certificate.

This is a legal requirement.  This has to be completed annually by a gas safe registered engineer.  This includes all gas appliances including appliances fuelled by bottled gas.

Periodic Testing.

This is an electrical safe certificate which tests all the back of house electrical circuits and fuse board.   This is required every five years.

PAT Testing

This is a test of all your portable appliances.  We recommend this every three year.   It is important to note that Periodic and PAT testing are not a legal requirement as such but as a landlord you have a legal obligation to ensure that your property is electrically safe which is the reason for the requirement

Chimney Sweeping.

If your property has an open fire, or log burner you need to ensure that you have your chimney swept annually.  Chimney sweeps will provide you with a certificate which you must provide a copy.  There are inherent dangers from not having a chimney swept such as a potential fire and Carbon Monoxide issues.

We hope that this information is useful and if you have any further questions or concerns then please feel free to contact us.

Be the first to hear about special offers