The Eden Valley – Cumbria’s True Gem
We love Cumbria Life’s June write-up of one of our newest Eden Valley cottages, the 5 star gold award Glen Bank.
And a huge well done from us at Lakelovers to Glen Bank, in the Eden Valley, for winning HIGHLY COMMENDED ‘Self-catering Holiday Property of the Year 2018’.
Found in the ‘friendliest village in Cumbria’, Brampton, this pet friendly cottage is ideal for family get-togethers. The owners have a notable eye for design, both having attended the converted London St Martins School of Art. Community is also important to a visit to this holiday cottage, so much so that the Kilmurray’s have included a free bottle of wine for all guests who support the superb local pub, The New Inn, by enjoying a meal there. And practicality features here too, where you’ll find a boot room and the smartest dog shower room we’ve ever seen, including doggie toilettes – all ideal for when you’ve come down off the fells. Read the full write-up here in Cumbria Life.
The Eden Valley takes on the Lake District
England’s three famous National Parks, the Lake District, the Yorkshire Dales and the North Pennines sit rather protectively around the somewhat unknown Eden Valley in the north of England.
And these mighty giants are protective over their remarkable neighbouring valley for a reason. Lying along the pastoral Eden Valley are some truly charming spots that can easily complete with those of the neighbouring National Parks, yet they lie quietly and without the fuss that comes with National Park status.
Although the Eden Valley isn’t on the tourist map, there are plenty of award-winning attractions and events easily as good as their Lake District counterparts.
- Take Potfest in the Park, held annually in the grounds of a stately home at Hutton-in-the-Forest on the edge of the Lake District. This is an Internationally acclaimed ceramics festival featuring neigh-on 300-hundred artists. Potters from across the globe meet in the Eden Valley, for this outstanding event in a glorious setting.
- The Internationally acclaimed sculpture artist Andy Goldsworthy OBE, is also well known in the Eden Valley, where you can the majority of his ‘Sheepfolds’ work can be found dotted around the Eden’s farming landscape.
- For some the Eden Valley has only been viewed at high-speed. The Settle to Carlisle railway that runs the length of the valley is cited as the most scenic railway journey in England and includes the famous Ribblehead Viaduct that has no less than 24 splendid arches!
- Appleby Horse Fair is world-famous and is where more than 10,000 travellers and gypsies camp out in traditional horse drawn carts to watch the famous horse races across the river. Eden’s normally quiet market town of Appleby, becomes a buzz of traveller life, attracting over 30, 000 visitors.
- Named after the Ancient Kingdom of the Dark Ages, Rheged Centre, just outside Penrith, is one of the top visitors attractions in the Lake District, second to Windermere Lake Cruises.
- Ullswater Steamers are another top visitor attraction in the Lakes – try their famous fish supper cruise!
- Salmon and trout fishing in the Eden Valley is the best in north England. Unusually, the wide River Eden travels from high in the Yorkshire Dales, through a pastoral valley bottom, northbound to join the Irish Sea as the Solway Estuary. In fact, it is one of the few rivers in England that runs north.
Cumbria Tourism Awards 2018 – North Lakes sweeps up
The modest Eden Valley is not short of awards too. In fact, the north Lakes came up top trumps at the recent Cumbria Tourism Awards 2018.
Here are some of the Eden Valley attraction 2018 winners to look up during your holiday:
- Large Visitor Attraction of the Year: WINNER: Lowther Castle & Gardens
- Tourism Pub of the Year: WINNER: Dockray Hall, Penrith
- Sustainable Tourism Award: WINNER: Upfront Arts Gallery, HIGHLY COMMENDED: Newlands Adventure Centre, Keswick
- Adventure Experience of the Year: WINNER: Cyclewise, Whinlatter * Sponsored by Lakelovers!
- Tourism Event of the Year: WINNER: Westmorland County Show, Crooklands, HIGHLY COMMENDED: Winter Droving, Penrith