What’s On In Windermere
“Windermere has something for everyone.”
This is one of the reasons why Windermere comes out as the most popular location in a recent holidaymakers competition poll – LAKE DISTRICT IS THE BEST BRITISH GETAWAY.
The Lake District was voted as the best getaway spot in The Sun’s Great British Bucket list competition earlier this year, with Windermere and Ambleside appearing as popular locations within the region.
Following on from our WHAT’S ON IN AMBLESIDE post, here’s our rundown of things to do when staying in Windermere, plus some of our top Windermere cottages where you can also find “something for everyone”.
Windermere for the kids
- Millerground, Windermere, is a nice grassy shore side and shingle beach to access Lake Windermere.
- Orrest Head is a very child-friendly walk straight from Windermere centre.
- For family-friendly shops in Windermere, treats the kids at Life is Sweet and buy a holiday toy from The Rocking Horse Toy Shop.
- For families with older children, Kankku 4×4 off-roading experience in Windermere is excellent and you can hire bikes near Windermere train station too.
- The World of Beatrix Potter, Bowness.
- Bowness Promenade.
- Glebe Recreation Ground for tennis, picnics and crazy golf.
- Via Windermere Lake Cruises from Bowness Pier, visit Brockhole outdoor play park and Tree Top Treks, Wray Castle, Lakes Aquarium, Lakeside Railway.
Browse the family-friendly Newby Bridge House, with availability for October half term: Games room with X-Box, Nintendo Wii and a PS2, half-acre garden with furniture & riverside decking, flexible sleeping spaces (2 Zip & Link Beds- Can be Twin or super kingsize), secure bike storage and river/lake access (parents be vigilant).
- Orrest Head, Windermere, and Cockshott Point, Bowness, are superb dog walks straight from these respective towns.
- For fell walks in the South Lakes, Gummer’s How and Wansfell are popular.
Windermere in the day
- After having coffee and breakfast on the cosmopolitan streets of Windermere, we’d recommend you head towards Lake Windermere to the town of Bowness for a wonderful day trip. Here you’ll find high-end fashion retailers and brands, such as White Stuff, Fat Face and Pandora as well as independent boutiques, galleries and gift shops. There are plenty of options for Afternoon Tea, and for special occasions book a table at The Samling for one of the most desirable views over Lake Windermere.
- The innovative kitchenware brand Lakeland have a flagship store behind Windermere train station. Here, you’ll also find Booths high-end grocery store and cafe, which is a very pleasant way to stock-up your self-catering cottage.
- Head to The Lamplighter Rooms for lunch.
Stay in a stylish dog-friendly apartment in the centre of Windermere – Antrona is quiet at night, yet so easy to wander into both Windermere and Bowness. This apartment has a wood burner and a relaxing open plan living space and kitchen, with dining and lounging areas.
“Excellent property in a great location next to Windermere Village and within easy walking distance of Bowness.” 27TH JULY, 2018
Windermere evening entertainment
- Sail ‘N’ Dine in Lake Windermere
- Seafood from Hooked, The Prince of India for Tandoori, Francine’s for French
- Happy hour cocktails at Smokies Bar & Grill, Windermere.
- Craft beer and sharing platers at The Crafty Baa, Windermere.
- The Old Laundry Theatre, Bowness
- Royalty Cinema, Bowness
- Fizzy Tarte for champagne and cocktails, Bowness
- Live music at The Baha Lounge, Bowness
- Bodega Bar and Tapas has a wonderfully continental feel, Bowness
High Stile luxurious ground floor apartment located between Bowness and Windermere, plus free access to the brand new spa, pool and champagne bar at nearby Choices Health Club!
Windermere for culture vultures
- Blackwell Arts & Craft house is a must!
- National Trust Fell Foot Park is nearby and perfect for a picnic and lakeshore relax.
For a grown-up’s retreat, stay in Hunters Moon, which has beautiful, large gardens that are often frequented by local wildlife. The elevated position of this private holiday home-from-home gives beautiful views down to
You may also want to browse our Bowness Cottages for a vibrant holiday experience in the South Lakes.