Where to stay in the Lake District when celebrating 150th Birthday of Beatrix Potter
Holiday cottages in the Lake District for celebrating the 150th Birthday of Beatrix Potter
Talking creatures, dressed in waistcoats, shawls and hats. Secret animal homes and hideaways. Humorous riddles and whimsical tempers.
There’s so much going on in the pastures, orchards, woods, waters and hamlets between Coniston water and Lake Windermere than you may know and 2016 is the summer to visit and join The World of Peter Rabbit and Friends adventure.
This year marks the 150th birthday of world-renowned Children’s author, Beatrix Potter, who’s 24 children’s stories of mischievous rabbits, crafty foxes and dippy ducks are very much as alive today as they were a century ago, when The Tale of Peter Rabbit was first published.
If you’ve not yet visited the treasure-trove that is Hill Top, Beatrix Potter’s farmhouse where she wrote and illustrated many of her tales, then this must be first on your ‘Potter Tour’.
Then there is an array of birthday party celebrations going on across the Lakes, specially marking the occasion and not to be missed:
- The National Trust are saying a huge ‘thanks’ for the biggest ever contribution to the Trust as made by Beatrix when she passed land and farms into their care. Their first-ever Children’s Book Festival is at Wray Castle, where the author holidayed with her parents in 1882, and is set to get imaginations racing. There’s a birthday picnic and special tours at Hill Top, hosted by the National Trust who own this very special Lake District property, preserved just as Beatrix left it, as was the request of the author.
- The Wordsworth Museum in Grasmere and Allen Bank are also getting into the party spirit and hosting special Beatrix Potter exhibitions.
- There’s a special exhibition at the Beatrix Potter Gallery where you can see some of Potter’s original illustrations and see the characters come to life off the pages.
- The World of Beatrix Potter, in Bowness-on-Windermere, launch their first ever musical – ‘Where is Peter Rabbit’ and is guaranteed to be a delight and one-off treat! They also have their popular Easter ‘Lake District Treasure Hunt’, with top prize being a week’s stay at a Lakelovers 4* cottage!
- On 28th July, Potter’s 150th Birthday, visit the great family attraction, The World of Beatrix Potter, and pay 1991 entry prices!
So this really is the year to come and visit the Lakes and join in the celebrations, saying ‘thanks’ to Beatrix Potter for that naughty little rabbit in a blue coat and slippers!
Near Sawrey and Hawkshead holiday cottages
Enjoy a real feel for Potter country by booking a Lake District holiday cottage right in the village and nearby countryside where the children’s author wrote so many of her much-loved tales.
Meadowside Cottage is a 3 bed, pet friendly cottage in Near Sawrey and enjoys idyllic views out to Hill Top.
Croft End Cottage, 2 bed with open fire, underfloor heating and garage. Also in Potter’s sleepy hamlet of Near Sawrey, this cottage is traditionally white-washed, sitting so harmoniously in the landscape you’ll feel completely transported to a by-gone era of talking farmyard creatures!